Wednesday, June 3, 2009

H809-25. Struggling on

I eventually finished TMA 03, but getting answers to my queries just days before the due date did not improve my mood, and the 'answers' I got must remain in quotation marks because for the most part, they were simply reformulations of my questions! But somehow, miraculously, I got the paper done on the Tuesday and submitted it on the Friday before the due date, as planned. I say miraculous because it turned out that I did indeed need to do extra reading. Thankfully, Jo stepped in to give me some advice about not overdoing it for the number of points on offer, and so I didn't. I have to say that I could not have done this TMA without Rhona's and Vic's comments - the early ones I mean, because the later ones were posted too late for me to make use of them. How fortunate that I visit all three discussion forums, right?!

So on to the ECA and more frustration. After a prompt response to my initial questions, my tutor is now 'off the boards' for a few days to mark TMA o3! I already feel like 4 weeks is not enough time to do this proposal justice - as I actually intend to carry out the study next semester and need/want to do a good job. We were advised to 'answer each others' questions.' I'm sorry, but especially at this point, I need to rely on the expertise of - well, the experts. No offence is intended by that. But I think we pay a lot of money to learn from people who have published extensively within their fields. Of course morally supporting each other is important, and we can exchange ideas, but there is a limit to what we can gain from that method. At some point, the tutors have to acknowledge their directional role. I mean, if I saw that my students were struggling, having made a sincere effort to work things out for themselves, I would try to guide them! And not with more of the same questions - at times, input is actually required.

If this sounds harsh, it is but a pale reflection of what I want to say, but I am ever mindful of my (unknown) audience. I have seen now at firsthand that feedback takes on a far more crucial role in a completely online environment. I have mentioned before that I am doing another postgraduate degree by distance at the same time as this one. I cannot say enough good things about that course. Even the librarians read our posts and contribute where appropriate! No flabby thinking goes uncommented on; not only are our thoughts about translation being shaped, but also our use of vocabulary to talk about the field. This is done in a firm but supportive manner, and it is simply fantastic. The tutor is so involved in the course and is keen to share her experience and expertise. I have never had to wait for more than a day for an answer to a question. Students are not left to flounder; contributions are acknowledged, and guess what! In a single course, we have posted 1200 comments, and more keep coming even though it's the end of the semester when students are busy writing their essays! (I got mine done early, what a relief!)

Now, I'm not saying I hold the Open University to the same standard, since it operates in a different context and I have learned to be conscious of such things on this course, but -

- but - I think that through frustration, I am increasing my expectations rather than lowering them.

Anyway, I will not give up easily, and I will not let anything defeat my goals. I am undertaking these two degrees in preparation for my PhD and nothing is going to dissuade me from following this path.

I just hope the Open University will be 'open' to the (constructive) criticism I am planning to send at the end of the course.

4 comments:

James Aczel said...

Hi Sonja

I've seen your subsequent post "Unexpected relief" so I know that that particular urgency has passed, but I just wanted to reassure you that we are very much open to feedback about how we can improve our courses. It's vital if we're to keep innovating. You're right to have high expectations.

Everyone on the course will be sent a survey in a few weeks, so that we can find out to what extent the changes we made in response to feedback on last year's course have worked. And this survey will give you the opportunity to provide full and frank criticisms and suggestions for improvement. The results of this survey do get acted upon.

But more than that, the course team is particularly keen to find out why there has been so much less forum discussion this year than last year, and what we might do about it for next year. We've already got lots of ideas for new research areas to include; but quiet forums are unusual for us, and not at all desirable. Some of our courses formally assess students' forum contributions in TMAs. We don't currently do that on this particular course, but perhaps it might provide added motivation for some to contribute!

In addition to the survey there'll also be a forum for you to share reflections on the course and on future directions. But obviously you're very welcome to contact me directly in confidence about anything to do with the course at any time.

With best wishes for your studies,
James

Sonja Tack said...

Hello James,

Thanks very much for your comment. I have lots of ideas for improvement which I will be happy to share. I also have a lot of positive things to say. I wouldn't keep going on about what's lacking if I thought that overall the course wasn't well worth carrying on with. I have learned so much and improved my confidence in preparing and carrying out research.

Assessing contributions has some benefits and drawbacks of course, but the main point I want to make (and will make) is that there must be greater visibility of and support from TUTORS. This is what is outlined and guaranteed in the course guide. Of course from the instructional point of view, lack of participation is a problem, but the students who *are* participating need to be encouraged. Otherwise, even the most motivated of us tend to start wondering why we should bother when we cannot get assurances or responses. In particular, clear and direct questions about assignments should be promptly answered in order to avoid creating a huge amount of stress and pressure during weeks allocated to assignment preparation. Greater visibility is also likely to encourage more students to post. But we also have to bear in mind that this is a *very* intensive course. The estimated study times may be enough to pass, but they are nowhere near enough to achieve a distinction. So some people may have taken on the course with unrealistic expectations of how they could fit it into their work schedules.

Anyway, I will write much more in my feedback. I feel a bit better and I hope the communication will be adequate for the remainder of the course.

Regards,
Sonja

JanM said...

Hi Sonja
I have just read James' comment above and I was just about to say that I have just done the feedback survey and urge you to do the same. I also enjoyed the learning on the course. I wish I had contributed more on the forum (must try harder) and I do agree with your comments about the timing of support. Maybe the structure of the TMAs needs looking at in terms of how the tutor can respond? I've signed up for another 30 pointer from Sept and it seems to have only 2 TMAs and an ECA.

Sonja Tack said...

Hiya Jan,
I did the feedback survey yesterday. I was polite. :)
I guess I was expecting more feedback comments in the forums as well. The Course Guide clearly states that tutors will be participating in the forums and sharing their own ideas. To be fair, some tutors did do this, although it got very irregular near the end.

Good luck with your next course! Unfortunately I have to wait for February for my next one...

Post a Comment

I appreciate your feedback!