Tuesday, June 9, 2009

H809-28. ECA first draft

I spent long hours Saturday, Sunday and yesterday to knock out a 4000-word draft. I followed an 'expanded version' of a research proposal outline I found on the Internet, which was an enormous timesaver. I realise that the tutors do not want to impose a certain format on us, but I do think that, contrary to the feedback given, there is a standard format for writing research proposals. I always spend the greatest part of my planning time figuring out how to organise the dozens of articles I've read, so for me, a model is essential, even if I later modify it to suit my own purposes.

Well, I'm of course relieved to have a draft I can show to my tutor and (hopefully) get (timely) feedback on, but I'm not entirely happy with it and will work on it for a few more days before asking for comments. I think I need more transitions between the two parts of the literature review, 'Blogging in higher education' and 'An outline of activity theory', as well as from the literature review to the methodology section. As always, the word limit was confining; I needed more space to do the literature review justice. As it was, I just concentrated on a few crucial themes and what I see as lacking in the literature. I get really annoyed with the 'cut-and-paste' technique used in the background sections of so many research papers. They give the impression that the studies they cite really back up what they say, but when you track them down and read them, they actually provide very little empirical support. I guess I am at the point in my development as a researcher when I just don't find a bit of 'positive feedback from students' good enough anymore. A few extracts (most likely chosen to support the researcher's agenda) from the data no longer easily convince me. That is why I loved Krause's article ('When blogging goes bad: A cautionary tale about blogs, email lists, discussion and interaction') so much: it was so practical, so honest. Sometimes these research studies are a bit over-dressed.

I am happy with what I have learned from reading further papers on blogging in preparation for this assignment, and I am also confident about the blog design I am going to use next semester - the design on which my proposed study is based. I feel more confident that students are going to engage with it, and I also feel confident that activity theory will help me to identify the reasons for anything that may go wrong. For the first time, I am giving my students more autonomy to blog. I wasn't ready to let go before and clung to the idea of the central class blog. I am really curious to see if they will be inspired to use their blogs creatively.

3 comments:

Jo Iacovides said...

Thanks for posting the links, they look really interesting! I think having guideline/outline can be very helpful as a starting point, but like you said, you don't need to stick to it as your work progresses.

When I was reading about how "a bit of positive feedback" isn't really enough to convince you anymore, I couldn't help but think that's exactly how I feel about a lot of the studies I read on the use of games in education. I mean fair enough, but where's the evidence that it works?!

I'm pleased the course has helped you think about research more critically, but also that it is having an effect on what you want to do in practice. Oh, and I'm glad H809 and myself have inspired you to take on your own course blogging role next year ;) Do you think you'll keep blogging about how the blog design goes if you do get a chance to carry it out?

I'm looking forward to seeing how the ECA (and the project) develops!

Sonja Tack said...

Hi Jo,
Thanks for your comment. And sorry for not being in touch. I decided it would not be fair to offload onto you, so I just tried to pull myself together. I have sent off my draft for feedback. Really I am just so relieved to have produced the draft. At the same time, I am doing two MA courses in Translation Studies, I was marking 117 papers and preparing grades, and I am planning my wedding with two parties! This is why I have to insist on being absolutely organised, and I suppose I demand the same standard from everyone else, when I'm sure that they do not feel the same urgency.

Yes, I think I will continue this blog - I will just rename it to something more general and use it for my classroom research, as well as the next two OU courses I take for the Diploma. The problem with blogs is that some things need to be private. I think I will use my private teaching blog to jot down my field notes for the blogging project, and continue to use this one as my 'public face'.

After reading reams of studies on this course, I can say it seems relatively rare to find a really quality paper on educational research. Very few stand out in my mind, and I read far, far more than what was assigned on this course. But it really convinced me that I can do better! I carried out some case study research with one student this semester to investigate how the interpersonal affects feedback. I have all the data now and just need to get stuck into the write up! And I am also preparing another paper/presentation about the use of a reflective 'I-Search' paper in an ENG 102 class. I don't want to lose the momentum I've built up by completing this course.

Best wishes and do keep in touch!
Sonja

Jo Iacovides said...

No worries, I'm glad you've been getting it all done. Sounds like you have a fair amount to deal with at the moment! Good luck with it all - hope the momentum keeps up. Look forward to hearing about how it's all going :)

Post a Comment

I appreciate your feedback!