Monday, February 15, 2010

H807-2. CASE STUDY #1: Use of e-portfolios in the social sciences

This case study reports on a decision taken by Sheffield Hallam University to move from a traditional paper-based portfolio to an e-portfolio for the purposes of personal/academic development planning (PDP) in social science classes. The change was made following much negative student feedback on the former: students were unable to see the value of this reflective tool, and they typically completed it just before the deadline in order to fulfil the assessment, thereby negating any potential it may have had to contribute to the learning process.

However, I'm a bit uneasy about this case study as it's written. The rationale for introducing yet another portfolio is not explained. Why should an e-portfolio be any different? The methodology they claim to be following, the Integrated Learning Design Framework (ILDF), does not seem to differ significantly to what they were following for the paper-based version. They show examples of both the paper and the e-based assignments; I'm afraid I do not see an essential pedagogical difference between them, nor why it is presumed that e-portfolios will be so much more attractive to students, why they will not simply leave them as well until the last minute. Is the 'innovation' here merely the ability to provide hyperlinks to pieces of work, etc. within the e-portfolio? This can also be done on paper! Perhaps I'm just confused...?

I also don't quite understand the authors' complaint about "the predominance of seemingly mundane concerns about time and personal organisation" - why mundane? These are legitimate concerns on the part of students, I think. In my teaching experience, students' greatest weakness - and the greatest obstacle to their learning - is a lack of time management skills. Particularly if students are not used to a process-based approach, they can be easily overwhelmed by an ongoing series of small tasks. This may be ironic, but nevertheless, it is the perception.

I must say, on another note, that PebblePad looks mighty cool...a much slicker look than Wikispaces, which is what I'm currently using for my (work in progress) professional e-portfolio.

7 comments:

Damian Rivlin said...

Hi Sonja,
I wonder if the issue about mundane concerns reflects poor training on the part of the students. This is the first stage of Salmon's 5 stage model.
What are your thoughts?
Damian

Sonja Tack said...

Hi Damian,
Yes, quite possibly - surely the lecturers did not just give the assignment at the beginning of the term and simply say 'get on with it'?! Students definitely need to be trained in such tasks, and class time should be devoted to it, at least in the early stages.

Salman's model? Do tell me more, I'm not familiar with that...

Thanks for your comment!
Sonja

Bob said...

Hi Sonja,

‘Why should an e-portfolio be any different? Why it is presumed that e-portfolios will be so much more attractive to students.’

I did have some thoughts around this related to innovation as per the comments in my analysis. An issue here I think is the versatility and control that ePortfolios provide for the student and lecturer as compared to purely paper based portfolios - provided of course they are introduced correctly as you identify.

I have to admit to being familiar with PebblePad and the features it offers I can see how this could bring about improvements in student usage – it is a good package but expensive.

In terms of pedagogical innovation and using the definition of "Innovation can be defined as a new and useful way of solving existing educational problems, for example, improving student understanding of content. The innovation does not have to be a new tool it could be changing the way an existing tool is used. Importantly any innovation needs to be understood in terms of its context ........." from research by Glenda Cox this might be considered innovative.

The rational for my thoughts being that it could overcome the issue of non-engagement by students through the specific ePortfolio features and by on-line monitoring. Do you consider this as a valid argument.

Thanks,
Bob

Sonja Tack said...

Hi Bob,
Yes, I definitely do consider that a valid argument, thanks. Since I am not familiar with PebblePad and the authors don't really elaborate its benefits, I was a bit confused. Online monitoring in particular, assuming it's regular, would seem to be very beneficial indeed to students.

Damian Rivlin said...

Sorry I took so long to come back to you.

Salmon's 5 stage model - here's a link you might useful!
http://www.atimod.com/e-moderating/5stage.shtml

and a flash based version:
http://www.atimod.com/e-moderating/fivestepflash.htm

Unknown said...

Hello Sonja, Realy liked your review and associated comments - Please may I have permission to quote from it for my H807 TMA?

Please advise
Thank you
Tracy http://learn.open.ac.uk/mod/oublog/view.php?user=450236

Sonja Tack said...

Thanks for your comment Tracy, and of course you can quote it. Good luck!

Post a Comment

I appreciate your feedback!